Dr. Campbell received his M.D. from Ohio State University College of Medicine in 1949 and completed his residency in neurological surgery at the IU Medical Center in 1957.
Among positions held were Chairman, Placement Committee, Congress of Neurological Surgeons and co-investigator for the NIH Cooperative Study of Aneurysms and Subarachnoid Hemorrhage. His professional memberships included: Marion County Medical Society, Indiana State Medical Society, American Medical Association, Indiana Neuropsychiatric Association, Congress of Neurological Surgeons, Central Neurosurgical Society, Forum of University Neurosurgeons, Interurban Neurosurgical Society, and Pan-Pacific Surgical Association. He was a fellow of the American College of Surgeons and the International College of Angiology.
Dr. Campbell authored numerous publications in various medical journals and presented at major conferences in his field.